Is there a Word for it?

May 28, 2008

This is for golfers primarily. We need a word for that putt you take after the putt you missed you were sure you would make. We have all done it. The five-footer that had your name on it pretended like it didn’t know you. Then, after you miss it, forswear grounding your putter on the green in case there is a marshall lurking in the bushes, you pull back the putt and try it again. Everyone knows you won’t count this one, but your ego and desire to improve (are they the same thing?) requires that you try it again. Twice is probably the limit for such a putt. If you don’t make it by then, it was not to be.

But, returning to the question: What should we call that putt? I would like to hear from my golfing lurkers on this one.



  1. It’s called the #*&@!

  2. Hi Mike, I’m not a golfer, but your email doesn’t come up in the comment you left on my blog, and I just wanted to thank you for it. I especially appreciate a man stopping by my blog, considering I often sway to girlie topics that might bore you. Thank you for lurking regardless.

  3. You’re welcome Barb. It is your other blog “Dog-eared” that got me interested in your writing…we have similar tastes in reading. My email is: mikeinsac@sbcglobal.net

  4. How about a “redemption putt”?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: