The Most Quotable MoviesMarch 2, 2012
I have had this discussion now with dozens of my friends and we have come up with the list of the most quotable movies of all time. What makes a quotable movie? I think there are three ways to measure this:
- Highest amount of quotable lines
- Most memorable quotes
- How much those quotes have become a part of the culture
Several of my friends mentioned that most movie quotes are time-sensitive. If you watched a lot of movies in the 70s, that’s where most of your movie quotes will come from. Same with the 2000s movies. I have tried to give a large leeway to eras and epochs of movies, even having one from the 30s. I normally don’t do lists in order, but I decided to break that rule here. See if you can think of a quote from each movie. I have listed my favorite after each one.
14. Anchorman: “I love lamp” or “ I know that one day Veronica and I are gonna to get married on top of a mountain, and there’s going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And we will dance till the sun rises. And then our children will form a family band. And we will tour the countryside and you won’t be invited. “
13. A Few Good Men: “You can’t handle the Truth”
12.. Ferris Beuller’s Day Off: “No way, Cameron. Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.”
11. Groundhog Day: “You have never thanked me” or “This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather.”
10. The Wizard of Oz: “Follow the Yellow Brick Road” or “There’s no place like Home”.
9. Clueless: “Why am I even listening to you to begin with? You’re a virgin who can’t drive. I’m outtie”.
8. The Godfather: “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse”
7. Caddyshack: ““Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper now about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!”
6. Star Wars (first trilogy): “I am your father Luke” or “May the Force be with you”.
5. Napoleon Dynamite: “Nunchuk skills… bowhunting skills… computer hacking skills… Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!” or “Pedro offers you his protection.”
4. Office Space: “Ah, ah, I almost forgot…I’m also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. We, uhhh, lost some people this week and we sorta need to play catch-up. Mmmmmkay? Thaaaaaanks. or “We don’t have a lot of time on this earth. We weren’t meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements.”
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: “You can’t expect to wield supreme power just ’cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” or “I don’t want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
2. Forrest Gump: “Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get”. or “Stupid is as stupid does.”
1. The Princess Bride: “Allo, my name is Inego Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”. or “Sleep well and dream of large women” or “Have fun storming the castle” or “He’s not dead, he’s mostly dead.” or, or, or, or…. That’s why this one is number one.