20 Signs You Have OLD Geek CredMay 16, 2013
Because you need to know there is a world of difference between the geek cred of the baby boomers and that of today’s generations, here is a list that shows you were there before the Internet exploded.
- You Grokked before you could flirt. In fact, you still grok and can’t flirt
- You punched cards to compile a computer program
- You could make pictures using just x’s and o’s on a Telex printout
- You can identify the difference between the sound a 2400 baud and a 14400 baud modem made.
- You still own a 2400 baud modem somewhere in a closet
- You completed a Rubik’s Cube without taking it apart or reading a book on how to do it
- Some of your fingerprints are missing due to excessive amounts of airplane glue on the fingers during airplane construction all-nighters.
- You’ve read LOTR more than 10 times before anyone had seen any of the movies.
- You were in love with one of the following sci-fi heroines: Galadriel, Mennolly, Eowyn, Kahlan Amnell or Meg Murry.
10. You have used both an abacus and a slide rule
11. You can play and win at Go, Pente, Chess, and Axis and Allies.
12. You know what a Heathkit is and have put one together and found out they were missing some of the parts. Extra bonus credit if you had the missing parts lying around from other kits. Ultimate bonus if you made the extra parts.
13. You played Pong and thought it was the beginning of the Revolution. You were right.
14. You knew Radio Shack when it was Tandy and had more leather goods than electronic. You bought both.
15. Your first computer had less than 16K of motherboard memory.
16. You know that a 1K segment of memory does not have 1,000 bytes but rather 1024. And you know why.
17. You can count in hexadecimal.
18. You wanted to be a Tarnsman and enter Gor through some secret door. Alternatively, you wanted all the girls from Gor to enter your world through some secret door. Heck, you wanted any secret door.
19. Your parents would get nervous when you entered the room with a screwdriver in your hands. Bonus points if they instantly protected the television set.
20. You can recite the mnemonic for remembering the order of colors in any resistor. (e.g Bright Boys Rave Over Young Girls But Veto Getting Wed)